Argumentative essay topics on current events
Students usually see some kind of persuasive essay assignment given throughout their academic careers. Many would say that it is the most significant writing exercise to help improve a student’s ability to present an argument backed by well-founded, academic evidence. Here are 20 relevant persuasive essay topics on current events you can consider towards an assignment:
- Do you believe that winning a war is as futile as trying to win over natural disasters?
- Do you think that to remain silent about the world’s problems is just as bad as encouraging those problems to persist?
- Do you believe in recent scientific studies that suggest the world will be uninhabitable by humans within 100 years?
- Do you think that purchasing homework assignments is ethical or a sign of how homework is no longer relevant in today’s world?
- Do you think that better communication between the world’s nations would promote the spread of peace?
- Are the efforts by governments enough towards the protection of world’s environment?
- Do you believe that standardized testing is as relevant today as it was 20 years ago?
- Is history still a relevant area of study or is it more important to learn about the world’s current events?
- Do you think citizens should be required to serve some time in civil or public service?
- What do you think is the greatest factor towards the start of war? Politics? Finance? Territory? Etc.
- Do you think that choosing to ignore the world’s problems is a kind of crime against the world?
- Should the world take a great stance on developing technologies to curb the effects of pollution?
- Do you believe that foreign countries should interfere in protecting endangered species?
- Are people ruining the world for future generations by only living for today?
- Do you agree with Thomas Mann’s belief that war is in a way a cowardly excuse or escape from the problems of peace?
- Do you believe that students should be required to state their pledge or loyalty to their country in the classroom?
- Do you believe that first world nations should make greater efforts to help solve the world’s hunger problems?
- Do you think that progress creates more trouble? Give evidence from current events to support your argument.
- Do you think the US’s tax system needs to be reformed? Should families with higher incomes pay a higher percentage?
- What do you think is the definition of genius and how can it apply to today’s world where technology is so important?
The Art of Conversation
An essay on recent events might appear as the easiest to write. The fact that the topic is on the lips of the public makes it to appear easy. In fact, it meets an important criterion for choosing a topic which is freshness. The challenge with topics on recent events is the absence of reliable reference materials. This does not make it impossible to produce a captivating essay on recent events. Here are some of the topics that would help create an interesting paper.
- Is the war on terrorism leading to more civilian deaths than are killed by actual terrorists?
- Popular perception of aliens by the common man
- What was the impact of wikileaks on open governance?
- Is social media responsible and an increasingly individualistic society?
- When should public money be used to bail out private entities?
- Are decisions to vote influenced by facts or media perceptions?
- Should age be a factor when running for president?
- Is the attempt to reverse climate change futile?
- Should expenditure on military be diverted to poverty eradication around the world?
- Is the world witnessing a return of theocracies?
- Are sporting events an economic burden to organizers and what can be done to reverse the situation?
- Is Earth about to colonize Mars?
- Will the confrontations in Syria be the catalyst for a third world war?
- Is the world ready for genetic modification?
- Should education be made free to the highest level?
- Who should get the lion share during player transfers?
- What is the effect of a repressed pressed on people’s perception of their government?
- What role do developing nations have to play in protecting emerging markets against the impact of global warming?
- How can technology be used to end human trafficking?
- Is a more educated society better at choosing leaders?
With such topics, you have already captured the interest of your reader since the topic is fresh. It is upon you to maintain that interest with captivating points and arguments. Make your arguments reasonable and coherent. Be very cautious to differentiate between facts and opinion. There is likelihood to give your opinion or that of other people and claim to be the truth. Though a lot of research has not been conducted on a subject, be mild and conservative with your pronouncements.
Check this site for fresh topics on current affairs. The site also gives tips on how to determine whether resources are reliable or not. It is a very resourceful site for students at all levels.
100 Current Events Research Paper Topics with Research Links
Virginia has been a university English instructor for over 20 years. She specializes in helping people write essays faster and easier.
- How is the Trump presidency changing international relationships?
- How should the U. S. respond to cyber hacking by Russia, China, and other countries?
- Should the United States raise the minimum wage for workers?
- How can cities in the U. S. be better designed to create a safer and more economically productive community?
- Is the U. S. economy becoming stronger or weaker?
- Getting «off the grid» is a current trend. What is the benefit of becoming self-sufficient? Is it worth the cost?
- Does better health care for everyone make a better and stronger economy in the U. S.?
- Does it make sense to give U. S. citizenship to all babies born in the United States?
- Gallup polls show that Americans view Unemployment and the economy the top problem in the United States. Does evidence suggest they are right?
- What are the different sides of the current debate over immigration reform in the U. S.?
- Does the United States have a good or a poor educational system compared to the rest of the world?
- How important is it to reduce the Federal budget deficit?
- What will be the most important issues in the next Presidential election cycle?
- What is causing the increasingly high cost of healthcare in the United States?
- Should the U. S. continue using drone strikes against terrorists?
- How is the current U. S. drought going to affect the fire season and food supply?
- Should the death penalty be outlawed throughout the U. S.?
- Should the U. S. aggressively work to change towards alternative energies like solar and wind power?
- What is the best way to create new jobs in the United States to get people back to work?
- Is the United States responsible for keeping peace around the world? What role should the U. S. play in preventing or intervening in wars and abusive governments?
- Should the United States fund college education more for people? What should be the rules for repayment of loans?
- Should the United States make it easier for educated people or people with valuable skills to immigrate to the United States?
- How can the Borders of the United States be made more secure? How important is border security?
- Should it be easier for people to become United States citizens?
- What infrastructure projects should be the top domestic priority in the United States?
- How has the high incarceration rate in the United States affected the economy? What Federal and State policies have driven up this incarceration rate?
- How has the Black Lives Matter movement affected the debate about racism in the United States?
- How can police departments minimize the danger to officers from shooters?
- How can Chicago reduce the amount of violence and murders in the city?
- How can we improve the statistic that says that there is nearly a 70% chance that an African American man without a high school diploma will be imprisoned before he is 40?
Helpful News Resources
BBC News: Reliable source for international news. At the bottom of the home page, you can search by country. You can also search by topic.
New York Times: Excellent detailed articles which give interesting information and links to other sources. Particularly good for topics about the United States.
CNN News: Good for news articles and videos in the United States and internationally.
Discover Magazine: News and links to original research articles on Science topics.
- Is the International Space Station a good way to bridge differences between nations, or is it vulnerable to become a political tool?
- Are we heading towards a 3rd World War?
- Is N. A.T. O. and effective organization?
- How can the International Community prevent Iran from developing nuclear weapons? How important is it that Iran not be allowed nuclear weaponry?
- What is the effect on Africa of the fact that many children have been forced to be soldiers?
- Is the EU going to survive the current economic problems countries have been having? Should the EU nations separate their economies?
- Is violence along the border of Mexico getting better?
- How can ethnic killings be stopped in Sudan?
- Is China easing up in restrictions for Religion or not? Are human rights better or worse in China than in the past?
- Should women’s issues be more important in international affairs?
- Is China about to overtake the United States economically?
- What is the effect of piracy on the stability of world commerce? How important is it to stop African pirates?
- Is there a better way to fight the war against drugs internationally?
- Is China starting to deal with their pollution problem?
- How has social media helped influence the world in a positive way?
- Is India a poor nation or an emerging superpower?
- How can we stop the world population from reaching 9 billion in 2050? Is it important to work to limit the world population growth?
- Should the world follow Bhutan’s development model?
- How healthy is the Indian Judicial System?
- Why do African nations have so many civil wars?
- Has foreign aid hurt Africa more than helping it?
- How has the influence of western medias hurt underdeveloped nations?
- Does Colonialism still affect the nations that were colonized? Pick a nation and explain the continuing problems in that nation due to the history of being colonized.
- How has life changed in Syria during the continued civil war?
- What is the current prospect for peace between Israel and the Palestinians?
Articles on World Politics
Global Issues: Information and links for many different world topics. Click on a topic to find links to research articles.
CNN blog post by Janet Fleischman argues that the international outcry about the abduction of the schoolgirls in Nigeria should be a reminder that the United States and other nations need to focus on policy changes which promote women’s issues and rights.
International Comparison Program data report on the comparison of the size of World Economies.
- Should college football players receive a salary or other compensation for their playing?
- Should an owner of a professional team be held accountable for comments he makes in a private conversation?
- Is it worth it for a city to invest in building a bigger and better stadium for their professional sports team?
- What is the value of a college sports team for a college? How does this help the college in terms of getting financial support from alumni? Attracting students? Supporting the economy of their community?
- What is the difference between sports and entertainment?
- How have the new technologies made watching sports different? Is the experience of watching sports better or worse than it was before?
- Which is more interesting to watch, college or professional sports?
- What sports should be taken out or added to the Olympic games?
- Should performance enhancing drugs be allowed in sports? What should be the rules about these drugs? Should athletes who used them in the past before they were outlawed be prevented from being entered into Hall of Fame?
- Is racism in sports a problem?
- Should athletes protest racism in America by not participating in the National Anthem or Pledge of Allegiance?
- Is participating in organized sports a good or bad idea for young people?
- Is it better for young people to specialize in one sport from a young age? Or should they try a variety of sports?
- Choose your favorite sport. What is the best way for coaches to identify the best talent in their specific sport? Are there better ways to pick a team?
- How much of a role to parents play in developing top talent in their children? What is the best way parents can help develop their children’s sports career? What are the worst mistakes parents make?
- Can fan-owned teams solve sports problems?
Media and Entertainment
- How has Twitter changed Entertainment news? What are the most recent scandals made bigger because of Tweets?
- Is it inevitable that teenage stars eventually turn to drugs, alcohol or other destructive behavior?
- Are female stars fighting back effectively against being judged by their looks, and especially by their weight?
- Which celebrity does the best job of seeming to be authentic? Is there a celebrity who seems to be as nice as they appear? How can fans know?
- How have shows like «Project Runway» influenced fashion? Have they motivated people to become more creative and personal in what they wear?
- In what way does the attention of the media on religious figures like The Pope affect the way they behave?
- Are the recent Christian movies helping win the culture wars?
- Why are cooking shows like «Chopped» popular?
- What is the best recent film adapted from a novel?
- What are the best movies of the current year? Do the Academy Awards winners reflect the very best movies?
- Is Recap culture hurting television?
- Recently, scripts from pro-wrestling have been released showing that the storyline is written even though the wrestling is improved. Analyze how pro-wrestling is similar to other forms of live or taped entertainment.
- Which current actors from Bollywood or other film industry outside of the U. S. seem most likely to make it big in Hollywood?
- Does getting involved in a scandal hurt or help a celebrities career?
- Does being on American Idol, The Voice or other singing contest really help an artist’s career? Do winners do better than other contestants?
- Pick one of the current Reality T. V. shows to investigate. How «Real» are these shows? What is done for entertainment value more than for depicting real life? Do these shows hurt or help the people on them?
- What current ideas are scientists researching to eliminate the problem of malaria?
- How is light being used to treat cancer and other diseases?
- Can 3-D printing be used for creating artificial hips and knees for joint replacement?
- How can looking at how the human brain functions help scientists create a better computer?
- Scientists have been observing theEvolution of a stick insect in California into two different species. What is the best current scientific evidence supporting and explaining the process of the evolution of species?
- Experts are warning that the deep ocean is being damaged by fishing, mining, and industry. What is the damage being done? Why is this important?
- Are the new techniques for mining natural gas going to be better or worse for the environment? What is the danger of fracking?
- What is the current evidence that impact from comets or asteroids has significantly impacted the weather and ecology of the earth?
- What is the current evidence that Mars has had water and maybe life?
- What is the current genetic and fossil evidence that chickens, dogs, and other domestic animals were much different even a few hundred years ago? How have humans bred domestic animals to be different from their original wild counterparts?
- Is Global Warming or climate change something that humans can do something about?
Health and Medicine
- Are E-Cigarettes less harmful than smoking?
- Why do people oppose the Affordable Care Act?
- Does spending time on media cause children to have mental health problems?
- How is the job of frontline health workers like pharmacists, nurses and doctors going to change?
- Is it possible to get AIDS infection rates to zero?
- What is preventing the world from eradicating polio?
- How are new technologies changing health care?
- What are the current trends in research about helping people break out of addictive behaviors?
- Traditional Chinese Medicine birth practices like eating the placenta (which in Western countries is usually encapsulated by being steamed dried and ground into pills) are becoming popular among some celebrities. What is the benefit of this practice? Is there any scientific evidence it works?
- Does making a city a «no smoking zone» really benefit health? Does it stop people from smoking, or help them quit? Does it result in fewer smokers in that city?
- What is the best diet for people with heart disease in their family history?
- The length of the average life continues to increase. What does current research say about the best lifestyle for someone who wants to live to be 100?
- Research is finding that what we think a medicine or food will do sometimes affects the way our body reacts. What is the evidence that our mind controls our body?
- Current health food trends include eating «super foods» or going «gluten free.» Take a current food trend and investigate the scientific evidence that this helps people have better health.
- What is the benefit of taking a daily low dose of Aspirin for older people?
Questions & Answers
What ideas can you give me for research on a disease?
Medical research is a hot topic and can make a good research paper, especially if you get sources that are from authoritative journals like Science and government sources like the Centers for Disease Control. You can do topics like:
What ways does the government do surveillance for infectious diseases?
What infectious disease is the most threatening to break out into a pandemic?
Can we ever cure the common cold?
What are some better ways to prevent people getting the flu?
See many more examples as well as tips for writing on my other articles. Here is one to start with https://owlcation. com/academia/100-Science-Topics-.
Why is the world so bad to people who are good?
That is a good question and one that almost everyone asks at some point in their life. Current events every day tell us about people who have been harmed emotionally or physically, often as they are going about their daily tasks or jobs. Sometimes people are hurt because of their religious beliefs, their race, or just because they happened to get in the way of someone who was angry and hateful.
Even though your question is one that all of us think about, to create a good paper topic on this question would require narrowing it a bit to a particular current situation. To make a good question out of a broad idea, it can be helpful to do a Google search. For this particular question, I searched «What is the most persecuted religion today?» That would be one way to find out why some «good» people have bad things done to them. Other questions could be: «Why are so many innocent people killed by police officers?» or «Why are police officers (or soldiers, or teachers, or other people who are trying to help others) killed?, or Why are there so many bad things happening to people in Syria? The basic idea in formulating a good question for a research paper is to turn your general terms «bad people» and «good people» or «world» into something more specific.