Comparison essay topics for esl students
110 Best Compare and Contrast Essay Topics
The topics you’ll find here require a unique approach as you try to come up with useful and accurate content. So, if you’re not familiar with such requirements, you’ll go through different challenges as you try to complete your assignment.
Here are just some of the few examples of compare and contrast ideas that you’ll likely come across. We’ve also taken the opportunity to arrange them in different classes to boost all your academic choices. You can even use the topics in writing your essays especially in cases where you’ve not been given a specific theme.
Compare and Contrast Essay Ideas for College Students
As a college student, you need to give yourself the chance to go through all compare and contrast essay ideas. Enough practice in reading and writing will provide you with an added advantage. You’ll tackle different issues and explain various situations as you try to find the right answer.
Some of these include:
- Theory Vs. Efficient Learning Processes: Which One Gives Students A Better Experience?
- Similarities and Differences of Writing a Research Vs. A Creative Writing Paper
- Studying From Home Vs. School Learning Sessions
- Married Vs. Unmarried School Couples: Differences And Similarities In Their Behavior
- Oral Literature Vs. Written Literature: Fundamental Differences
- Significant Differences Between Canadian And American English
- British Vs. American Learning System
- Why Is It Easier To Write An Internship Report Instead Of A Research Paper?
- Studying In Your Room vs. Visiting the Library: Which Is More Productive?
- Studying for a Degree vs. Studying for a Master’s Program: Key Similarities.
Compare and Contrast Essays on Love and Marriage
Love is the most important virtue. It brings peace, unity, and development to even those war-torn countries. Hence, getting your hands on some compare and contrast essays is an essential step towards understanding the importance of love in the society.
You’ll find questions such as:
- Marrying At a Young Age vs. Marrying At an Old Age: Which Is the Best Decision?
- Teenage Love Vs. Childhood Love: Where Do Young People Go Wrong?
- Similarities Between Court Marriages Vs. Church Marriages
- Real Life Relationships Vs. Romance On Films And Movies: Which One Should We Learn From?
- Wives Vs. Husbands: Who Plays A More Significant Role In The Family?
- Mothers Love Vs. Father Love
- Siblings Vs. Friends: Who Play A More Substantial Role In Your Life?
- Love Before Marriage Vs. Love After Marriage: Is There Any Difference?
- Differences And Similarities Between Love And Sex
- Valentines vs. Christmas: Which Is the Best Couple’s Holiday?
Compare and Contrast Essay Topics on Matters Touching On Sports and Leisure
If you are a student, then you know the importance of co-curricular activities. By looking at various compare and contrast essay topics, we’ll give you an added insight into this fantastic world. Each item should help you improve in this area for a smooth and exciting education and life experience.
So which are some of these ideas?
- Similarities Between The English Premier League And The Bundesliga
- Real Madrid Vs. Barcelona: Which Team Has A More Significant Impact In The World Of Football?
- Playing American Football Vs. Basketball: Which One Will Land You More College Applications?
- Track Racing Is Better Than Off-Road Marathons!
- World Football in the 20th Vs. That Of The 21st Century: Key Differences
- Jamaica Vs. The United States: Which Country Produces The Fastest Sprinters?
- Brazil Vs. Germany: Which Country Improved The Game Of Football?
- Brady Vs. Manning: Which American Football Star Will History Remember?
- Early Morning Workout Sessions Vs. Late Night Work Out Sessions
- Having a Picnic vs. Taking a Walk: Which Leisure Activity Is More Romantic?
Compare and Contrast Paper Topics on Music, Film, and Art
Music and theatre productions are crucial factors if you want to enjoy a sufficient and exciting life. With the right compare and contrast paper topics here, you’ll discover the beauty of film, art, and music.
Some important issues include:
- The Vikings Vs. Game Of Thrones: Which Is The Better Classic TV Show?
- Fundamental Differences And Similarities Between Bollywood And Hollywood Movies
- Turner Classic Films Vs. Modern Day Films: How Far Have We Come?
- Thor Vs. Iron Man: Who Did We Enjoy To Watch In The Avengers Movie?
- The Villains of Gotham Vs. The Villains Of Star City
- Watching a Play vs. Watching a Film in a Theatre: Which One Is the Best Experience?
- Fundamental Differences And Similarities Between Picture Art And Stone/Sculpture Art
- African Music Vs. American Hip Hop: Which Is More Acceptable?
- Ed Sheeran Vs. Passenger: Who Would You Invite To Sing At Your Wedding?
- Soft vs. Hard Metal Rock Music: Which One Works For You?
Good Compare and Contrast Essay Topics on Religion
Who are we without our religion? The simple answer here is nothing! Faith gives us a sense of belief. Each day brings new gifts and experiences as well as challenges. With good compare and contrast essay topics, you’ll continue to appreciate the higher power at work.
Some of the ideas that you’ll come across include:
- Fundamental Differences And Similarities Between An Anglican Bishop And Catholic Priest
- Tracking Down The Development Of Christianity In The 20th And 21st Centuries
- Significant Differences And Similarities Between Protestants In African Vs. Roman Catholic Africans
- American Vs. British Religion
- Religion In African Before And After The Coming Of The Missionaries
- What Did The Greek Gods Have In Common With The God Of The Israelites?
- Contradicting Issues in the Law of Moses Vs. The Good News Of Jesus
- David Vs. Solomon: Who Was A More Significant King From The Christian Bible Stories?
- Islam Holidays Vs. Christian Holidays: Which One Has A More Substantial Impact On Society?
- Exploring The Origin Of Both Christianity And Islam
Compare and Contrast Essay Subjects On Opposite Objects
The world is full of entirely different things. Learning about them through different compare and contrast essay subjects is a perfect way to keep improving your knowledge.
Here are just some of the topics:
- Black Funerals Vs. White Colored Funerals: Which One Do You Think Is Better?
- Female Soccer vs. Men’s Soccer: Which Sport Is More Popular?
- Buying a Remote Control Car Vs. A Remote Control Drone
- Football Vs. Basketball
- Capitalism Vs. Socialism In Different African States
- Colonial Resistance Vs. Collaboration: Which One Was Wiser?
- World Peace vs. World War!
- Sprite vs. Coke!
- Travelling Abroad Vs. Travelling Within the Country: Which Is the Best Tourism Activity?
- War Submarines Vs. Warships: Which One Would You Take To A Battle?
Compare and Contrast Essay Topics for All Amateur Writers
If you are just starting your writing experience, you don’t have to struggle. Here, with a few simple compare and contrast essay topics, you give yourself a straight head start in your academic life.
Here are some basic essay ideas:
- Should You Work On Weekends Or During Weekdays?
- Similarities And Differences Between Plants And Animals
- Chinese Vs. African Traditional Dishes
- Black or White Coffee: Which One Kick Starts Your Morning?
- Should You Travel By Rail Or By Sea?
- A Career in Teaching Vs. One In Medicine: Which Impacts More On Society?
- Eating Fruits In The Morning Is Better Than Having Proteins
- What Makes Europe Better Than Africa?
- Reading Vs. Traveling During The Holidays: Which One Is More Productive
- Jeans Trousers vs. Khaki Wear: Discovering the Best Men’s Wear!
Compare and Contrast Essay Ideas for All Teenagers
The life of teenagers is filled with highs and lows. Such is a period of complete uncertainty. Therefore, without the right guidance, young men and women end up destroying their fruitful lives.
Here are some basic compare and contrast essay ideas to help you go through your teenage year:
- Life of College Vs. The Presence Of High School Students
- Paying For Your College Tuition Vs. Getting A Scholarship
- Going For Prayer Groups Vs. Going To Party In Late Night Clubs
- University Vs. High School Love Relationships
- Similarities And Differences In The School Behavior Of Both Boys And Girls
- Having A Girlfriend Or Boyfriend In School Vs. Maintaining A Single Lifestyle: Which Is Wiser?
- Similarities Between A High School And College Degree
- Business Vs. Information And Communication Classes: Which One Is Simpler?
- Why Should You Seek Employment Instead Of Being A Freelancer While In College?
- Doing Community Projects Vs. School Games: Which Is The Best Fit For You?
Literature and Language Compare and Contrast Paper Topics
There are also several compare and contrast paper topics touching on language and literature. Here are just a few such ideas to help you get started:
- High School Drama Vs. College Theatre Plays
- Fundamental Differences And Similarities Between The Roman And Greek Forms Of Literature
- What Did We Learn From The Works Of Shake Spear In Othello And Hamlet
- Traditional Vs. Modern Day Forms of Language: What Has Changed?
- The Deathly Hallows Vs. The Half-Blood Prince Harry Potter Books: Which One Did You Love Reading?
- The Impact Of Art And Music In Modern Day Literature
- Oral Writing Is Better Than Written Forms: Explain!
- British Vs. American Novel Writers
- Play Directors Vs. Movie Producers
- Teaching American vs. British English to Foreigners: Which One Is More Educative?
Compare and Contrast Essay Subjects on Science
Science is something that keeps adapting and changing. We keep making discoveries every day. All these ranges from biological, chemical and biological findings.
Here are just some of the impressive compare and contrast essay subjects touching on this issue:
- Life On Earth Vs. Life In Mars: Where Is The Future Taking Us?
- Using A Polytunnel Vs. Utilizing A Greenhouse In Farming
- Hurricanes Vs. Earthquakes: What Should We Keep Preparing For?
- Electric Cars Vs. Diesel Or Petrol Vehicles: What Do You Think Is Environmental Friendly?
- How Is Planet Saturn Different From Jupiter?
- Modern Day Scientific Healing Processes Vs. Traditional Means
- Similarities and Differences between the New and Conventional Methods of Scientific Commerce.
- What Separates The Milky Way From The Andromeda Galaxies?
- Differences and Similarities between the Homo Habilis And Homo Erectus.
- Pregnancy And The Start Of Motherhood: Here Are The Similarities!
A General Approach to Famous Compare and Contrast Essay Paper Topics
There are also several public compare and contrast paper ideas. These questions should help you understand essay and research writing in a straightforward and ‘soothing’ way.
- North Korea Vs. The United States: Why Is There Heated Tension between the Two?
- Similarities of Dying Young and Dying Poor!
- A Glass Of Water Is Better Than A Glass Of Soda In The Morning
- Similarities And Differences Between Windows And Android Software In Making Smartphones
- Daydreaming Vs. Dreaming During the Night: What Would You Prefer?
- Studying Abroad Vs. Taking Up Local Courses: Who Is At An Advantage?
- Learning French Is More Straightforward To Learning Chinese
- China Vs. The United States: Which Is Currently The Largest Economy?
- Bread vs. Eggs in the Morning!
- Slavery And Women Liberation: Which American Historical Milestone Should We Remember?
A good compare and contrast essay topic should intrigue and compel you to evaluate two issues. By carefully going through these questions, you go a notch higher in trying to boost your reading and writing skills.
So, what are you waiting for? Pick a suitable topic and start working on it now!
Compare and Contrast Essay Topics: 135 Fresh Ideas
Writing a compare and contrast essay is one of the easiest tasks ever.
The only difficulty is finding a topic—things to compare and contrast, two objects or phenomena that are similar and different at the same time.
However, with the following list of ready-to-use compare and contrast essay topics, it’s not a problem anymore.
And remember — you can always turn to our expert writers to help you with your paper.
Compare and Contrast Essay Topics: Easy as ABC
Compare and Contrast Essay Topics for Beginners
- Handwriting and typing
- Animals in the zoos and animals in the wild
- Driving a car and using public transport
- Using Uber and taking a cab
- Traveling with friends and traveling solo
- Homeschooling and attending a public school
- Physical beauty vs inner beauty
- Coffee and energy drinks
- Facebook and Twitter
- Studying in high school and attending college
- Paper bags and plastic packaging
- Giving presents and receiving presents
Compare and Contrast Essay Topics: Natural Sciences
- Mountains and volcanoes
- Apples and tomatoes
- Ants and bees
- Nuclear power vs solar power
- Rainbows and lightning
- Frogs and toads
- Gasoline and biodiesel
- Melons and citrus fruit
- Volcanoes and earthquakes
- Tornadoes and blizzards
- Sugar and salt
Comparison and Contrast Essay Topics: Humanities and Social Studies
- Revolution and evolution
- Christopher Columbus and the first astronauts
- Anorexia and obesity
- A sentence and a phrase
- Online education and traditional education
- Greek vs Roman mythology
- Protestantism and Catholicism
- Socialism and capitalism
- Poetry and prose
- Inventions and discoveries
- Sci-fi and fantasy
Compare and Contrast Essay Topics: People
- Justin Bieber and John Lennon
- Oprah Winfrey and Tyra Banks
- Leonardo Da Vinci and Steve Jobs
- William Shakespeare and Petrarch
- Thomas Hobbes and John Locke
- Adolf Hitler and Joseph Stalin
- Vladimir Lenin and Joseph Stalin
- Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth I
- Mahatma Gandhi and Nelson Mandela
- Booker T. Washington and W. E.B. DuBois
- Thomas Jefferson and John Adams
- George H. W. Bush and George W. Bush
- Michael Jackson and Elvis Presley
- Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton
- Taylor Swift and Miley Cyrus
- Mother Teresa and Angelina Jolie
Compare/Contrast Essay Topics: Popular Culture
- Graffiti and Black Square by Kazimir Malevich
- Twitter and newspapers
- OkCupid and Tinder
- Reality TV shows and YouTube videos
- Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings
- The Hunger Games and Divergent
- Modern dancing and classical or ballroom dancing
- TV shows and comic books
- Rap and hip-hop
- The Twilight saga and Dracula
- Star Trek and Star Wars
- Facebook comments and class discussion
Comparison Essay Topics: History
- The Roman Empire and the British Empire
- The Soviet Union and communist China
- World War I and World War II
- The American North and South during the Civil War
- Slavery and indentured servitude
- The Salem witch trials and McCarthyism
- The civil rights movement and the women’s suffrage movement
- The assassinations of John F. Kennedy and Abraham Lincoln
- The ideas of Karl Marx and Soviet communism
- The French Revolution and the Russian Revolution
- The Vietnam War and the Iraq War
- The Holocaust and the Rwandan genocide
- The League of Nations and the United Nations
- The Arab Spring and the Prague Spring
Ideas for Compare and Contrast Essays: Uncategorized
- Marriage and civil unions
- The influence of parents and the influence of peers
- Texting while driving and skydiving
- Learning Chinese and learning Latin
- Going to the movies and watching Netflix
- Being boring and being bored
- Windows and Linux
- Public schools and charter schools
- Your current car and your dream car
- Owning property and renting it
- Reading and listening to audiobooks
- Speed dating and speed networking
- Teenagers and toddlers
- Studying all night and partying all night
Compare and Contrast Essay Topics: Just for Fun
- Love and friendship
- Apple and Samsung
- Coffee and performance-enhancing drugs
- Morse code and Beethoven’s Fifth Symphony
- The moon walk and Gangnam style
- Soccer and American football
- McDonald’s and Taco Bell
- Exercising and dieting
- Xbox and PlayStation
- Being single and being in a relationship
- Growing a tree and raising a child
Compare and Contrast Essay Topics for High School Students:
- Your childhood friend and your high school friend
- Softball and baseball
- Classes and extracurricular activities
- School choir and school band
- In-class activities and homework
- Digital textbooks and hard copies
- Comedy and drama
- Being an only child and having siblings
- Friends and family
- Volleyball and basketball
- Spring and fall
Compare and Contrast Essay Topics for College Students:
- Going to grad school and working
- Recycling and using a landfill
- Living with parents and living alone
- Study abroad and study at home
- Following tradition and modernizing
- Student clubs and Greek life on campus
- Research papers and theses and dissertations
- Early morning classes and evening classes
- Writing and editing
- Fiction and non-fiction
- Memorizing material and understanding it
- Citing sources and plagiarizing from them
- Living in a dorm and living off campus
With such an extensive list of good compare and contrast essay topics, you’re sure to find something you can use in your paper.
Now that you’ve got some compare and contrast writing prompts for your essay, you’re ready to get started.
Naturally, you need to start writing. But what if you don’t know how to begin the writing process?
Easy—just check out this WikiHow article for a great step-by-step guide to compare and contrast essay writing.
Still don’t feel confident about writing your paper?
The best way to learn something is by observing it, so you should definitely read some compare and contrast essay examples. For instance, try these resources:
- A fantastic example of a block method essay about two types of drugs
- A well-structured sample of a point-by-point compare and contrast essay about life in two different states
For a breakdown of the two compare and contrast essay types, check out this helpful video tutorial that explains the point-by-point and block methods.
And if you’re still having doubts about writing your essay, come to Place4Papers for help narrowing down your topic and crafting the best arguments.
Make sure to check out some more essay inspiration from us:
Best of luck writing your compare and contrast essay!
An Exhaustive List of Interesting Compare and Contrast Essay Topics
Introduction with quotation or anecdotes that lay the ground for the thesis statement.
Next, Topic A is introduced in great detail. The exhaustive description can continue for quite a few paragraphs. All aspects of this topic that will be used later for comparison should be discussed in this section in great detail. Topic B should not be mentioned in this section at all.
The third section should have comprehensive details about Topic B. The same rules apply for this section as well. No mention of Topic A should be made here.
The next section is where you compare the two elements you have chosen to pit against each other and bring out the similarities and differences in them optimally.
Finally, a complete summarization and a good conclusion to reaffirm the thesis stated in the introduction.
An introduction giving a briefing of all that the essay will cover.
Portion containing all the similarities between topics A and B.
Section containing all the differences between the two topics.
The conclusion containing a summary of everything highlighted in the essay.
Your Best Friend vs. Your Archenemy
Vogue Magazine and Elle Magazine
Music and Books
Celebrity Influence vs. Parental Influence
Watching Movies in Theaters vs. Watching Movies at Home
Rap Music vs. Pop Music
Acting vs. Lying
Fear and Confusion
Natural Beauty vs. Cosmetic Beauty
Being Rich vs. Being Famous
Online Classes vs. Traditional Classes
Soul Music vs. Country Music
Daily Shows vs. Reality TV Shows
Tarzan vs. Mowgli
Bullies vs. Dictators
Adolf Hitler vs. Joseph Stalin
Abraham Lincoln vs. Thomas Jefferson
Joseph Stalin vs. Napoleon Bonaparte
William Shakespeare vs. Christopher Marlowe
George Carlin vs. Richard Pryor
Paris Hilton vs. Lindsay Lohan
Beyonce Knowles vs. Rihanna
Karl Marx vs. Max Weber
Ellen DeGeneres vs. Oprah Winfrey
Bulimia Nervosa vs. Anorexia Nervosa
Yoga vs. Aerobic Exercises
Low Fat Diet vs. Low Carb Diet
Acupuncture vs. Acupressure
Allopathy vs. Homeopathy
Condoms vs. Birth Control Pills
Dyslexia and Dementia
Herbal Medicine vs. Allopathic Medicine
High Fiber Diet vs. High Protein Diet
Dyslexia vs. Learning Disabilities
Cosmetic Surgery vs. Liposuction
Current Russia vs. the Former USSR
Communism vs. Democracy
Nazism vs. Fascism
Republican Ideals vs. Democratic Ideals
The Two World War Sides — Allies and Axis
Democracy vs. Dictatorship
The Iraq War vs. the Vietnam War
The World War I and the World War II
The 18 th Century vs. the 21 st Century
The Pop Culture in the 1960s and the Pop Culture in the 1990s
Life in the Past vs. Life in the Future
The Neanderthal Man vs. the 21 st Century Man
Women 100 years ago and Women Today
The Writings of Confucius and Hammurabi’s Code of Laws
Windows vs. Linux
Microsoft Zune and Apple iPod
Yahoo Search Engine vs. Google Search Engine
Hurricanes and Blizzards
Inventions vs. Discoveries
Facebook vs. Twitter
Snowfall and Rainfall
Creationism vs. Evolutionism
SRAM vs. DRAM (Static Random Access Memory vs. Dynamic Random Access Memory)
Mitosis vs. Meiosis
Nuclear Fusion and Nuclear Fission
Compare Cultivated Flowers vs. Non-cultivated Weeds
Pet Dogs vs. Pet Cats
African Elephant and the Asiatic Elephant
African Lions and the Asian Tigers
The Australian Flora and Fauna vs. the African Flora and Fauna
Fruits vs. Vegetables
Evergreen Forests vs. Coniferous Forests
Volcanoes vs. Earthquakes
The African Continent vs. the American Continent
The Mediterranean Weather vs. the Sub Tropical Climate
Pollution in the United States vs. Pollution in China
Compare Germany vs. America
Europe vs. Africa
Spirit Worship vs. Idol Worship
The Bible and the Quran
The Bhagavad Gita and the Quran
Hinduism vs. Islam Religion
Christianity vs. Judaism
Paganism vs. the Wiccan Faith
Buddha and Jesus Christ
The Gospel of Matthew vs. the Gospel of Luke
Islam vs. Christianity
The NASCAR vs. the Formula One
Venus Williams vs. Serena Williams
Cricket and Soccer
Baseball and Rugby
Fox News vs. CNN
Country Living vs. City Living
Physical Beauty vs. Inner Beauty
EBooks vs. Real Books
A Good Boss and a Bad Boss
Hostel Living vs. Home Living
Disparity vs. Discrimination
Reservation Quota vs. Equal Opportunity
F. R.I. E.N. D.S vs. Charmed
Cinderella and Snow White
Beowulf and Odysseus
Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer
Sherlock Holmes vs. Hercule Poirot
Albus Dumbledore vs. Gandalf
Albus Dumbledore and Gellert Grindelwald
Poetry vs. Prose
Tragedy vs. Comedy
Romeo and Juliet vs. Much Ado About Nothing
Pride and Prejudice vs. Sense and Sensibility
Harry Potter Series and The Lord of the Rings Series
Victorian Culture vs. Gothic Culture
Catholic Schools vs. Public Schools
Being an Employee vs. Being Self-employed
Church Sermons vs. Campaign Speeches
College Life vs. High School Life
Classical Economics vs. Keynesian Economics
Perception and Sensation
Here’s something you should always keep in mind when choosing the two (or more) subjects to be compared in an essay — they must belong to the same league in some way or the other. For instance, comparing the achievements of Nikola Tesla and Gabriel Batistuta in any way will be an effort in vain as only then will you be able to do optimal justice to your essay.
Their fields of work are completely different and in no way can any parallels be drawn between the two. However, the achievements of Nikola Tesla can always be compared to that of Thomas Edison for very obvious reasons. Also, choose two subjects of equal strength and weightage. Macbeth and Hamlet can be studied in tandem, but you cannot possibly compare Nick Bottom to Hamlet just because both are characters created by Shakespeare.
As long as these threads of rationality can be maintained in your choice of comparable constituents of your essay, there will never be a dearth of topics that you can coin and opt for.