APA Essay Style Format
What Are APA Style Papers?
The acronym APA stands for American Psychological Association. The APA style reference format is the most frequently utilized when citing papers on social disciplines, like education, humanities or sciences. When writing an essay using the APA format, you need to abide by the guidelines we’ll explain in this article.
General Requirements for the Structure
In general lines, you must follow the requirements listed below when formatting your paper:
- Use a plain font. In general, you are advised to use Times New Roman 12pt with double spacing
- Your margins must be of 1”
- Each of the pages of your essay must have a heading, written on the top. The heading must be made of the shortened general title of the paper (less than 50 characters)
- The page number should be written on the right.
- Furthermore, the APA paper structure includes the following sections: Cover Page, Abstract, Main Body, and Bibliography. Your essay should begin with the title page. Next, deal with the abstract and the main body. The last part of APA paper is the bibliography (or, the citation section).
APA Essay Format: Help with Writing Your Essay Paper
An APA, American Psychological Association, style is a standard of writing academic papers in a variety of subjects relevant to the social sciences. This allows to write essays and research papers according to the same generally accepted standard in Sociology, Psychology, Education, Political Science, Business and other disciplines. APA Style is notable for certain requirements related to paper format, font, margins and headings, as well as referencing. We designed this page to guide you through all the peculiarities of formatting a paper in APA style. Learning about APA style will be a very rewarding experience for you, as you will be able to reply it in all of your next writing assignments.
Quick Navigation through the APA Essay Format Page:
The Fundamentals of an APA Essay Format
What comprises the APA style? Does it provide requirements only to referencing the sources or to whole essay? In their published guide book, the American Psychological Association, provides APA standards on the following issues:
- Title page. Unlike MLA style which doesn’t require a title page, it is a must in APA essay format. It usually contains such standard elements as the title of the paper, the student’s name, teachers or course name, and the due date. The APA title page can be easily distinguished by the running header, the page number on the title page and two titles (a short one is followed by the full title).
- Abstract. Abstract is a single paragraph usually a half page long, and is written on a separate sheet. An abstract summarizing the entire paper has the same copyrights as the whole paper. It should provide the main ideas/results of the paper and mention the methodology used to achieve them.
- Page format. Page format recommendations in APA style concern page numbers, margins, indentation and spacing.
- In-text references. The format of references in APA format is the foremost subject of student’s concerns. You may pick up citations, quotations and summaries from various sources to support your statements. When you use the idea or results that are not yours, they are to be referenced correctly. APA style approves of in-text references. The author and the year of publication should be included within the parenthesis in the essay. Page numbers also need to be mentioned when picking up lines from a book.
- Use of quotations. APA style recommends to put short quotations in quotation marks. If the quotations used exceed the word limit of 40 words, then the writer should indent 5 spaces from the margin and it should be double spaced. Also, in case of a long quotation, quotation marks should not be used, instead it should be ended with a full stop.
- Headings. Though it may be not required for an essay, but if you will write a research paper or thesis in APA format you’ll need to structure it. Headings are used to separate and classify paper sections. Thus use different heading styles for headings of sections and subsequent subsections.
- Reference list. Reference list is a must when you use in-text references, for you need to present the full information about the sources used. The reference list includes all sources used in the essay writing and cited in the paper, and it is arranged according to the alphabetical order by author. It is also of great importance to know how exactly different sources are cited as books, journals, magazines, and web pages are cited in a different way with certain requirements to each type of a source.
Download APA Format Essay Sample
You may consider how the basic APA requirements are met in APA Essay sample.
APA Essay Template (Cick the Image to Enlarge)
When using APA style there are a few standards to keep in mind:
- double spaced;
- have all the margins set to one inch;
- it’s recommended to use the font serif typeface for the text and sans serif typeface for any labels;
- use 10-12 for the font size;
- always have page numbers;
- a header with the title of the paper should also be used.
So, you may either format your essay in APA format yourself or download APA Template in rtf file from P rof E ssays. com .
Download APA Template
How Can We Help
Our expert writers will format your paper for free when you place an order on our website. Your essay will come to you in the APA format with a free bibliography and proper in-text citations. Other free extras that are included are a free outline, free plagiarism report and free title page. Try our services and get 15 percent off your first order! Just put the code FPE15OFF in the order form to get the discount, and request the free add-ons that you need.
We know the feeling, it’s like a 300 lb weight on your shoulders. The paper’s due date is fast approaching, you think about the work all the time but haven’t started yet and you spend hours staring at a blank piece of paper waiting for inspiration to strike while your friends are all out having fun.
Well, that can all change in an instant. P rof E ssays. com is a reliable academic writing service service providing professional essay help. Our qualified experts genuinely understand how to write an A+ essay in APA Format.
Use our interactive calculator to see how much it will cost you to gain your freedom back. Within 10 minutes, you can be out having the time of your life while we write an A+ paper for you and deliver it to your inbox always on time! Learn More
Why choosing us to help? P rof E ssays. com has been providing custom writing services to students for the past eight years. Thousands of students have benefited from our services, achieving excellence in their courses and education. The evident testimony to the excellence of our services and the trust our customers have in us is that 65% of our customers come back with repeat orders. Your privacy is important to P rof E ssays. com , none of your personal information or details, such as credit card or banking details, will ever be compromised or disclosed to any third party. You are always on the save side with P rof E ssays. com ! Click here to place your order.
APA in-text references
References are obligatory in a body of the essay if you use some external sources, and especially when you cite them in the APA essay. In-text references are used instead of footnotes in APA format.
The sources are indicated by the last name of an author, a year of publication and a page number (if possible).
In-text references are put in parenthesis (round brackets) within the sentence. Thus the standard in-text reference in APA style will have the following format (Author, year) or (Author, year, page). But there may be variations:
1. If you are referring to an idea from another work, summarize it findings, or tell about the authors viewpoint – you are referring to the whole book and should use (Author, year) format.
Example: T. E. Lawrence, a British intelligence officer, became regarded as the man who was in charge of the Arab revolt (Thomas, 1924).
2. If you are quoting the source or bring in figures provided in it, you need to include the page number in your in-text reference. Like: (Author, year, page).
Example: Lawrence was compared to “a caliph who had stepped out from the pages of ‘The Arabian nights’” (Thomas, 1924, 16)
3. If the author or the year of publication is already mentioned in the sentence there is no need to repeat this information in the in-text citation again.
Examples: With Lawrence in Arabia was published in 1924 (Thomas).
Lawrence of Arabia became famous due to the book of Lowell Thomas (1924).
4. Multiple authors reference. If the source is written by multiple authors, then you should state last names of all of them, at least in the first reference within the essay. Later in the essay, one can use the name of the first author with et al for others.
Example: (Morris, Raskin, 1993) – first in-text reference
(Morris et al., 1993) – subsequent in-text reference
5. In case of no author. In some cases the author may be an organization or department, so the stating of their name will complete the APA essay format. Or else the mention of the book will also fulfill the need. Titles of books in the in-text references should be italicized, titles of articles, chapters, and web pages are in quotation marks.
Organization: (ProfEssays. com, 2009)
Book: (The correspondence, 1914)
Article: (‘APA Essay Format’, 2010)
APA Reference list
The reference list includes all sources used in the course of the essay and cited in the paper. The references should always be organized in alphabetical order. This gives an organized look to the essay.
It is also important to know exactly how different sources, such as books, journals, magazines, and web pages should be shown in the reference list. As certain requirements differ for each type of source:
- Book: Author, A. (Year of publication). Title of work: SUBTITLE. Location: Publisher.Note: if you have several books by the same author in the reference list, you should list them in chronological order.
- Article: Author, A. (Year). Title of article. Title of Periodical, volume number (issue number), pages.
- on-line source: Author, A. A. (Year, Month Date – if availiable). Title of article. Name of the web-site. Retrieved from http://www. url/ on Year, Month Date.
APA format headings
Readers and writers alike can find headings as a useful tool in writing. Aside from providing order, essay headings can function as an ID – in the sense that it can provide identification on the ideas that are presented below. Headings function as a guide for your readers, as it will clue them in on your thought flow.
The APA style allows five levels of headings when writing.
Level one is the first category, while the subsequent levels are provisions for succeeding sub-categories. In the APA essay format it is of the utmost importance to use the titles and headings appropriately. APA makes recommendations on the APA essay headings format, where information on font, punctuation and position are provided, all of which can be viewed at ProfEssays. com:
heading level 1: Centered, Boldface, Each Word with a Capital Letter
heading level 2: Left-adjusted, Boldface, Each Word with a Capital Letter
heading level 3: Indented, boldface, only the first word with a capital letter, with a period.
heading level 4: Indented, boldface, italicized, only the first word with a capital letter with a period.
heading level 5: Indented, italicized, with a period.
Note: in APA format headings “Introduction” and “Conclusion” are not required! Only the parts of the main body should have headings!
APA essay title page
- Title page should be numbered in APA format.
- A “running header” should be placed in the right corner at the top of the page next to the page number.
- A “running header” in APA style contains a short title of the essay.
- The essay title should be placed one-third of the page down from the top. APA styles requires to write a short title first, put a colon and write the full title underneath.
- Author’s name is usually several lines underneath.
- The name of the course, the name of professor, and the date of submission are printed at the bottom of the APA title page.
APA regulations on abbreviations, tables and figures
You may not need it in your APA essay, but there are APA regulations on abbreviations, tables and figures.
Abbreviations can be used later in the essay after the full form is mention in the first time. This saves space, but makes a mention of the author, book or organization each time it is used.
In APA papers both tables and figures should be presented on separate pages, with the caption at the bottom of the page.
What to remember with the APA essay writing format
The main thrust of documenting guidelines is to avoid plagiarism. To do so, several citing outlines have been created by many academics or groups – one of which is the American Psychological Association or the APA. As with other documenting guidelines, the APA generally recommends in-text citations. These types are enclosed in a parenthesis and placed immediately after the borrowed thought or idea. When beginning with the APA essay writing format, P rof E ssays. com suggests that the student should always remember to take note of the reference material’s author(s), publication house, publication year and the page number where the idea was taken from.
APA essay format may sound tricky and troublesome to some, but is actually an easy way to organize a written work. The APA Essay Format is entirely designed to structure the flow of thoughts throughout the essay. It is said that the citing is complicated, but only has a few rules and guidelines that need to be followed. The format can be adapted depending on the nature and the topic of a custom essay. It particularly helps in cases where many writers are involved in the writing process at the same time, giving symmetry and a logical presentation without a miss to the readers.
What is an APA essay?
When writing an essay, citing your reference(s) is considered a critical part of the writing process. This fundamental element of writing helps students avoid plagiarism. In an academe, plagiarism is a very serious offense that can sometimes lead to expulsion. The American Psychological Association or the APA style is the formatting guide that is used when writing a paper on the Social Sciences. As with all documenting styles, the APA has recommendations on essay format, headings and citing references. Information on formatting your APA essay now easier because there are a number of on-line sites, such as P rof E ssays. com , which can provide you with key points in documentation. Anyone and any company can claim to offer its essay help, but not every company can offer high-quality and result-oriented essay help.
The appropriate APA format for your manuscript
Many professors recommend strict compliance with manuscript formatting guidelines when writing any type of academic paper. Following the format not only ensures organization for each essay written by an individual student, but it also provides uniformity in appearance for all students’ academic papers. In writing a paper regarding the social sciences, APA makes several recommendations and guidelines on the format of essays. Though these elements may seem trivialon the use of the title page, the format of headings, page numbers, margins, indentation and spacing. Though these elements may seem trivial, P rof E ssays. com believes that compliance remains a must.
College essay format: writing effectively in the collegiate level
What differentiates a college essay from a high school or a junior high school essay is the level of professionalism it exudes. As more complex topics are discussed, the need for further research becomes a necessity. Another important factor to consider is the format of the essay. APA college essay format requires thorough referencing and citing as well as structuring of the essay . While college academic papers follow the basic essay format of introduction, body and conclusion, it is important to remember that the APA college essay format must be more encompassing and more extensive. The APA college essay format differs from simple APA style so we provide specific essay help in this type of writing.
P rof E ssays. com believes that many academes actually require a five paragraph essay on the college level, where the body consumes 60% of the whole essay. ProfEssays. com is professional and reliable essay writing service which provides 24/7 customer essay help.
Write Effectively With the Right Essay Format
A standard essay format provides order to any academic paper. Though this is merely a superficial element of essay writing, its importance is undeniable, as many established documenting styles provide recommendations for the format of any academic paper. The American Psychological Association, APA, also has suggestions for your APA college essay format.
Welcome to the Purdue OWL
This page is brought to you by the OWL at Purdue University. When printing this page, you must include the entire legal notice.
Copyright ©1995-2018 by The Writing Lab & The OWL at Purdue and Purdue University. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our terms and conditions of fair use.
APA (American Psychological Association) style is most commonly used to cite sources within the social sciences. This resource, revised according to the 6 th edition, second printing of the APA manual, offers examples for the general format of APA research papers, in-text citations, endnotes/footnotes, and the reference page. For more information, please consult the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, (6 th ed., 2 nd printing).
Please use the example at the bottom of this page to cite the Purdue OWL in APA.
To see a side-by-side comparison of the three most widely used citation styles, including a chart of all APA citation guidelines, see the Citation Style Chart.
General APA Guidelines
Your essay should be typed and double-spaced on standard-sized paper (8.5″ x 11″), with 1″ margins on all sides. You should use a clear font that is highly readable. APA recommends using 12 pt. Times New Roman font.
Include a page header (also known as the «running head«) at the top of every page. To create a page header/running head, insert page numbers flush right. Then type «TITLE OF YOUR PAPER» in the header flush left using all capital letters. The running head is a shortened version of your paper’s title and cannot exceed 50 characters including spacing and punctuation.
Major Paper Sections
Your essay should include four major sections: the Title Page, Abstract, Main Body, and References.
The title page should contain the title of the paper, the author’s name, and the institutional affiliation. Include the page header (described above) flush left with the page number flush right at the top of the page. Please note that on the title page, your page header/running head should look like this:
Pages after the title page should have a running head that looks like this:
After consulting with publication specialists at the APA, OWL staff learned that the APA 6th edition, first printing sample papers have incorrect examples of running heads on pages after the title page. This link will take you to the APA site where you can find a complete list of all the errors in the APA’s 6th edition style guide.
Type your title in upper and lowercase letters centered in the upper half of the page. APA recommends that your title be no more than 12 words in length and that it should not contain abbreviations or words that serve no purpose. Your title may take up one or two lines. All text on the title page, and throughout your paper, should be double-spaced.
Beneath the title, type the author’s name: first name, middle initial(s), and last name. Do not use titles (Dr.) or degrees (PhD).
Beneath the author’s name, type the institutional affiliation, which should indicate the location where the author(s) conducted the research.
Begin a new page. Your abstract page should already include the page header (described above). On the first line of the abstract page, center the word “Abstract” (no bold, formatting, italics, underlining, or quotation marks).
Beginning with the next line, write a concise summary of the key points of your research. (Do not indent.) Your abstract should contain at least your research topic, research questions, participants, methods, results, data analysis, and conclusions. You may also include possible implications of your research and future work you see connected with your findings. Your abstract should be a single paragraph, double-spaced. Your abstract should be between 150 and 250 words.
You may also want to list keywords from your paper in your abstract. To do this, indent as you would if you were starting a new paragraph, type Keywords: (italicized), and then list your keywords. Listing your keywords will help researchers find your work in databases.
APA Abstract Page
Please see our Sample APA Paper resource to see an example of an APA paper. You may also visit our Additional Resources page for more examples of APA papers.
How to Cite the Purdue OWL in APA
The page template for the new OWL site does not include contributors’ names or the page’s last edited date. However, select pages, like the Citation Style Chart, still include this information.
In the absence of contributor/edit date information, treat the page as a source with a group author:
Purdue Online Writing Lab. Title of resource. Retrieved from http://Web address for OWL resource
The generic APA citation for OWL pages, which includes author/edit date information, is this: